Friday, February 28, 2014

Last day in February 2014



1. For What it’s Worth

Some days I just don’t have a clue what is going on in my life. Seriously! I really don’t have a clue. My life 10 years ago was a good life. I had a great girlfriend, I lived in a great location, my job was okay (I guess maybe a little too much business travel), I was pretty happy and healthy all in all.  Ten years later, it is just 7 months until I am eligible to retire and my life is pretty much upside down. There are some positive things such as retirement in sight, alimony payments are done, I am paying off my other debts now, and I have a great dog that gives me, her butler, unconditional love. I have our road trip planning to look forward to, which is nice. We have you readers who every once in a while give us some feedback, which we really like! So these days I try to concentrate on the positive things I do have, rather than dwell on all the great things I have lost recently.

Companionship is a great thing that I desire. I do have that with Snoopy, but I wish I had that with a significant other.  You know, someone to share every day things with. For many years I traveled all over the place for business. I was on flight crew back in my USAF days, and I also traveled for work overseas and here in the US. But when you travel to places and see new and exciting things, it is pretty much a hollow experience when you have nobody to share it with. I have enjoyed my experiences being in a relationship for the most part.  Sure, there are rough times you have to deal with, but I am one of those one-woman kind of guys that only want one woman. I rarely dated more than one woman at a time. When we were exclusive, then I was dedicated to one girl and we were exclusive. Being single and not attached to someone does have its advantages at times, but for the majority of the time I liked being exclusively with one girl.

I am not one much for the dating scene. I have never really mastered the dating process or even understood the process. I still have no clue how it is supposed to work. I have maybe been on twenty “first dates” total in my entire single life. I never liked the process or ever enjoyed the idea of a first date. In fact, I think it is totally stressful. And who thought up this idea of dating?  What a weird process it is.

First, do you begin by talking on the phone or by texting back and forth with her before any first date?

Then after all that, you have to go through the process of trying to ask someone you are interested in out for an activity. What kind of activity will it be? Dinner and a movie? Do I have to pick her up? Where would that be? At the place where see lives?  Maybe in a neutral place such as a restaurant or a bar? Do you wait for her inside or do you wait for her out in front of the establishment? If it is at a bar, do you go in and have a few drinks to calm your nerves a bit?  Do you have a beer, cocktail or do a couple of shots instead? Will she think you have a drinking problem because you started drinking before her? And when she does arrive at the bar, do you offer her a drink or do you immediately head out to dinner?

What kind of dinner place do you go to? Do you take her to a nice restaurant that could cost you a lot of money just to impress her? How about some dive bar for a burger or some pub grub? Or maybe just meet for a quick cup of coffee, tea or just maybe a drink?

Now, with all this figured out, what do you talk about with them? Do you lead the conversation and tell her about you or do you let her lead the conversation and just sit back and soak it all in? Do you just scratch the surface and chit chat about neutral things or discuss current events? What subjects are taboo and should be avoided at all costs? 

We all know not to discuss religion and politics, but in Europe that is exactly what they discuss over dinner. Maybe that is why I did most of the listening when I was over there because you know I like to blast people on both of those subjects, which is not always popular with everyone. I try to be Politically Correct, but for me being PC is not an easy thing for me to accomplish.

I have most likely ruined 50% of my first dates because I knew there would no chance for a second date, just from my choosing. I have met someone before on a first date and within 5-10 minutes I knew this was going nowhere fast. That is a very good reason to just meet someone for a first date for a coffee, tea or maybe a drink. Then you know and be thankful that it can be a short encounter and you are not paying majorly out of your pocket buying someone dinner, etc. 

After a first date, it can go three ways. You really liked them, you did not like them at all, or you kinda liked them. 

If you did not like them, no problem, just move on to another target.

If you kinda liked them, you ask to have another date to feel them out some more.  It seems like the second time you meet someone face to face, you tend to notice more things that you did not see maybe the first time. Plus, their guard is a bit down more and they may be a bit more relaxed. On first dates, it seems that people try to put their best foot forward and be on their best behavior. They really are not acting like themselves, which can be a tricky situation when you are trying to feel things out. Second dates are much less stressful than first dates.

Now, if you really liked them after the first date, that in itself, can be a tricky situation. You are generally excited that you met this nice person and you can see a possible future relationship with this person. You wonder and are uncertain about does she like me the same way as I like her? You harbor this feeling of uncertainty where you stand. How do you size up the situation? Where do you stand? What kind of activity do you plan for a second date?

I think this last scenario is the hardest one to go through, because it has the possibilities of a future. It also has the highest degree to end up failing or disappointing yourself.  You want more, expect more and have more to lose if it fails.

So, as you can see, this process is so much more complex than someone would believe.  Can you see why I hate it and I am terrible at it?  I find it better to be friends with someone and later it could blossom into something more possibly.  I think we all could use more friends, ya know?  Who agrees with me? Who thinks I am afraid to date? Does anyone have an opinion?  Good grief, I am doomed!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Today’s Music Trivia

Today’s music artist is an English band out of London that I discovered during the 1970s that was actually formed in 1968 by bass player Chris Squire (the only member to be with the band throughout their entire history), and Jon Anderson, lead singer. Members also included Tony Kaye and later Rick Wakeman and Patrick Moraz on keyboards, drummers Bill Bruford and later Alan White, and now lead singer Jon Davison. Many other members have been a part of this band, but to list them all would take quite some effort. Known for their progressive and symphonic rock songs, their lengthy compositions and often complex instrumental and vocal arrangements, this group has also distinguished themselves with their use of cosmic and mystical lyrics. With their number one hit single, “Owner of a Lonely Heart” in 1983, can you name this symphonic and progressive English rock band?

Yesterday’s Music Trivia Answer = Van Morrison

Wednesday’s Music Trivia Answer = Van Halen
---------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Alternate Band Name Game

Clue: = Thrifty Magic       Answer:  ???


Yesterday’s Alternate Band Name Game

Clue: = Appreciative cadaver         Answer = Grateful Dead

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Snoopy says, “Bark Less and Wag More!”

Until next time… Be Good!


- cb

No comments:

Post a Comment