Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I'm tired of narrow-minded 'Merican people

Greetings!

Today’s music trivia game is an American jazz rock/soft rock ensemble formed in the early 70s by core members Donald Fagen (lead singer and keyboardist) and Walter Becker (lead guitarist). First playing together in other groups such as The Bad Rock Group and later as The Leather Canary, which surprisingly included future comedy star Chevy Chase on drums, they played cover songs and some originals. This band (who got their current name from a British slang term for dildo) who’s popularity peaked in the late 70s, due to seven albums being produced during this time, blended elements of jazz, rock, funk R&B and pop, using a revolving cast of session musicians during their recording efforts.

This band toured from 1972 – 1974 before retiring to only record in the studio for most of the next two decades and finally reuniting to tour once again in 1993.  Known for their jazz-influenced structures and harmonies and their perfectionism in the recording studio, this band has a loyal following still today.  With hit songs such as, “Rikki Don’t Lose That Number”, “Deacon Blues”, “Hey Nineteen”, “My Old School”, “Peg” and one of their biggest hits, “Reelin’ in the Years”, this group has become one of the foremost bands of the seventies, still touring and getting a lot of airplay today.  One of the best concerts I have ever been to back in 1994, can you name this beloved American band that has become a household name?

Some people are so preoccupied about labels. What they wear, what they call themselves, who they are associated with. I am sick and tired of it. I won’t even wear any clothes that have names or labels showing such as A&F, Nike, any designers such as Tommy Hilfiger, etc. I mean, if you have to have your name plastered all over a garment you made, then you are a pretty lame company. Also, the weekend warriors who have their Harley Davidson motorcycles and think only Harleys matter. For most of these dweebs, the Harley is their first motorcycle they ever bought. I bet most of them they had to ask their wife for permission first before they bought the bike, before they go on a ride, before they bought their ass-less chaps.  Don’t give me any of your lip just because I ride a Japanese “Rice Burner”motorcycle. I’m sure I have been riding motorcycles much longer than some of these lame guys proclaiming to be “Harley riders”.  Bite me, Wannabee biker!

Also, there are plenty of women out there that are proclaiming to be Gay because it is fashionable now-a-days.  Really?  Is a label that important to you?  Geez…  If you try to get into a guys pants, then I would say you are bisexual, not gay.  No matter how much you may have had to drink.  I’m not pointing any fingers at anyone, I’m just saying.  But, if you are a guy and you proclaim you are gay, then you most likely are gay.  Men just don’t say those kinds of things unless they really are.  Guys don’t kid about that kind of thing, not that there is anything wrong with that.  It just is not my style.  Geez, that was kinda awkward.  Just sometimes you gotta say something about some things you think are BS. 

Anyways, I just hate labels and the whole label thing.  Just be yourself and quit proclaiming you are this or that.  And lose the A&F sweatshirt. It is not and has never been cool. You wouldn’t have ever seen James Dean or Steve McQueen ever wearing one!  End of discussion.  Case closed!

I guess I must be getting old and cranky in my final stages of life.  I seem to be venting more often that usual lately.  I am tired of BS and I have been calling people on it lately, even when I should just keep my big mouth shut. For instance, the Super Bowl commercial for Coke with the various people singing the song, America The Beautiful, in several different languages, which I thought was tastefully done.  Someone posted on FB some quote for some supposedly Colonel saying how he was offended.  Hey, buck up buttercup!  You have sworn your loyalty and duty to protect all of Americans, not just the ones you desire or approve of. 

English is not even our own language, it is England’s language.  What if they said to quit using THEIR LANGUAGE and start using our own language?  It is only by luck that we don’t speak Spanish, Italian, French, Dutch or some other language.  Do most people know that New York City used to be called New Amsterdam?  Christopher Columbus was not English, he was Italian hired by the Spanish. He was just a contractor working for another country, and not even England.  So, all of you bigots who think all Americans must speak English, get a grip on reality. English is a very tough language to learn.

These narrow-minded 'Merican people who proclaim, “America is the greatest country ever” and they have actually never been to any other country to compare America to.  I believe the more you travel, the more you get educated and the more tolerant you become.  Try going to another country and not be able to speak their language or even read their signs. Try Germany, Greece, Turkey or Italy. Give it a try, Sparky, then get back with me.  Just shut your pie hole, you are showing your ignorance once again.  Really travel someplace far away from home and then come talk to me about how great we are.  We aren’t the greatest country in the world.  We used to be great, but we could be, and I feel we can be great again.

There is a short video on You Tube from the first season, the pilot show I believe, from the TV show “Newsroom”, where these news reporters or pundits are on stage, like a town hall meeting set up, being asked questions by some grad students at some prestigious American university.  Some girl asks the newsroom anchorman character being played by Jeff Daniels, “Can you say what makes the US the best country in the world?”or something similar.  Here below is the link to watch it:



I don’t claim to be the smartest guy in the world, and I will argue my point until I am proven wrong, but I know ignorance when I see or hear it.  This country is great because of the diversity we all bring to the table.  Different languages, different tolerances, different foods, different people, and many different ideas, that’s what makes us great!  Wouldn’t it be quite boring if we were all exactly the same?  If we were all the same, I don’t think I would want to live here, would you?  Dare to be different.  Good grief!  Just be yourself, everyone else is taken!

I guess I am the most liberal person in my family.  I have dated girls of all colors and creeds.  Asian girls, Latina girls, Black girls, Polish girls, European girls, Northern girls, Southern girls, girls from other countries, older girls, younger girls, Smart girls, dumb girls, spoiled girls, self-sufficient girls, and even a few Redneck girls.  I am an equal opportunity guy. I judge each and every person on their merits and how they treat others. After work some days, my house looked like a UN meeting with people of all kinds, colors and creeds.  It was a very happy time in my life being surrounded by all kinds of different people, the way it should be.

Okay, time to get off my soapbox once again.  Can’t we all just get along?

As Snoopy says, Bark Less and Wag More!

Until next time… Be Good!


- cb

No comments:

Post a Comment