Thursday, December 5, 2013

The first Thursday in December…


The first Thursday in December…

Congrats to Lisa K for guessing the correct last two musical artists as Joe Jackson and John (Cougar) Mellencamp.  Nice job, Lisa, as always. Keep playing the game!

Today’s musical artist was big in the 1970s when I was in high school with their unique sound with violins and their wonderful lyrics.  Later in life I found out they were born-again Christians and many of their lyrics reflected that.  Their many hits included, “Carry on My Wayward Son”, “Dust in the Wind” and “The Wall” which most got lots of airplay back in the 70s. Can you name this unique rock and roll band?

I rode the bicycle into work again today and it was a bit easier than before.  My legs are a bit sore but I am slowly getting used to it and I even found my bungee cords to keep my pants legs away from the chain.  I do need to get some new AA batteries for my headlight assy.  I hope the weather stays nice and the seasonal rains hold off until I get into some kind of better shape.  I do believe that the fat and weight will shed off slowly and constantly if I keep the bicycling up. 

FYI – El Segundo is a small town at the beach and is full of hills. Actually there are not many flat streets until you get to the East side of the town. The East side of ES is the industrial section as the West side of Sepulveda is the residential section of town.  I must go to the East side of town to go to work and luckily the streets are mostly flat.  If I want to go to the beach I’ll have to transverse many hills all the way through the residential section down to the beach.  I’ll need to work up to that a little at a time before I attempt that strenuous journey. 

El Segundo is a controversy within itself.  Known as the Mayberry on the West coast with a small town feel.  Downtown ES is quaint and has small shops to browse and shop at.  In fact, The Tavern on Main, a family sports bar, is located at 123 Main Street.  How American is that?  We have a reputation as a small quiet town with some of the worse cops around.  They are not to messed around with.  In fact, the Band, “A Tribe Called Quest” wrote a song titled, “I left My Wallet in El Segundo”. This is about being busted by the cops and having to pay a huge amount of fines afterwards.  I consider the cops here a double-edged sword.  If they are on your side and are doing their job protecting the citizens, then they are good.  If they are against you, they pretty much are the worst thing ever.  They are arrogant as most cops are and most of us citizens don’t like them.  Best bet is to try to avoid them.

El Segundo is also a corporation mega town.  Companies such as Mattel Toys, DirecTV, Northrop-Grumman, Chevron Oil, Space and Missile Systems Center @ Los Angeles Air Force Base, Rock & Brews, Wyle Laboratories, Tropical Exports (As seen on the TV show, “Tanked”), Raytheon, Cars Direct, LAX International Airport, and various other smaller companies. 

A few of the celebrities that have called El Segundo home include Coach Phil Jackson and his girlfriend Jeanie Buss, and also the comedienne Roseanne Barr.  Bass Player and financial wiz, Gene Simmons, is part owner of “Rock & Brews”, and is seen here frequently in ES.   I saw Arnold Schwarzenegger recently here at the Tavern for a birthday party, and he is much shorter than I ever thought. 

The El Segundo High School is the most photographed HS in the nation and has been used for many TV commercials as well as TV shows and movies.  Downtown ES has been used for filming as well with movies such as, “Dude, Where’s My Car”, and other movies I have seen.  The Old Time Music Hall located in downtown ES has one of the last working Wurlitzer Organs in the world and is used daily to show silent films and older films at a cheap price.  Holiday movies and concerts are also performed there, which really needs to be experienced at least once in your lifetime.

Since we don’t have “Beach” in our city title, El Segundo is our own little secret.  We don’t have residences located right on the beach, we do have our own beach, El Segundo Beach.  Not many people know about our local beach, because we don’t really advertise it.  On my weekdays off I have been known to get Chinese food to go and dine at our beach and have lunch in the sun.  Snoopy always enjoys those days basking in the sun.  She loves the attention she receives from people passing by on their bicycles, rollerblades and various different modes of transportation that utilize the beach-side sidewalk titled, The Strand.  The Strand is a popular way for people to travel by human power right on the beach all along the coastline of California.

Yesterday after work, I decorated for the holidays by putting up a string of lights outside my apartment.  Nothing crazy, just a 200-bulb string of small blue lights along the roof soffit and in the front bushes.  I would like to get a real Christmas tree, but unfortunately I really don’t have the room to properly display one.  My small living room already holds the TV stand, Bose speakers, bookcase, my desk, a recliner chair, my bicycle, and a sofa and love seat. There really in no room for much more in that very small room. I might get a wreath made from pine boughs to enjoy the great smell of the holidays. That smell takes me right back to being a kid during Christmastime.  That is one of my favorite smells in the world.

Well, it’s time to close for now.  Just a reminder…. Less than 3 weeks to Christmas…

Snoopy wanted me to tell you all to… Bark less… Wag More!

Until next time… Be Good!

- cb

No comments:

Post a Comment