Wednesday, December 18, 2013

One Week Before Christmas…


One Week Before Christmas…

Today’s music trivia group is an American alternative rock band which was established in Orlando, FL in 1995 and their debut album, “Yourself or Someone Like You” was a huge success getting lots of airplay.  Songs such as, “Real World”, “Push” and “3 AM” off this album were immediate hits and are still played on the radio today.  Their lead singer, Rob Thomas, was even featured singing lead on Santana’s mega hit single, “Smooth”.  Can you name this popular and well-liked band?

As most of you know, I love Christmas back home in Chicago in the snow.  Chicago is the most beautiful metropolis I have ever been to and the views of this majestic city can be mesmerizing. The views down Michigan Avenue with all the storefronts decorated and all the kids enjoying all the Christmas displays in the windows is a sight to be seen.  The memories made will and have lasted a lifetime!

It is hard to believe that I only have one more year until I can retire.  Now mind you, I won’t be as well off as some people are or rich by any means, but I believe I will be able to live comfortably with what I will have.  It may be average by California standards, but it should suffice for a Midwestern living arrangement.  Having the freedom to go where I want, when I want and for how long as I want will be something that I dreamed about for years. 

I remember laying in the grass with my Mom in our back yard in Quincy when I was a youngster and looking up at the clouds and trying to identify animals or whatever in the puffy and fluffy cumulous clouds as they drifted by. I would drift off in my imagination and dream of places I wanted to visit.  I remember my fascination with maps and I would meticulously study them and wonder what the places were like.  Later in life we had the World Book encyclopedia set and I would poor through them with wonderment and dream of visiting these far off places.  Much of that overseas travel I did during my days with the Air Force, which can never be taken from me.  Wonderful memories made are a great way to fill your mind.    

Travel is a great way to spend some of your time.  Unfortunately, most of the places I have travelled to was basically by myself.  I believe having someone to share the travel memories with makes a world of difference.  I have had several friends that want to travel part of my backroads tour with Snoopy and Linus and myself, but they are only tentative travellers. I am going to have to lock down some of these people who want to travel with us so there won’t be any overlaps or conflicts. 

Our basic travel route will begin here in El Segundo sometime in the spring of 2015.  We will be travelling basically in a clockwise pattern starting with heading northbound up the Pacific Coast and transitioning sometime over East to the Sierra Nevada Mountains to spend some time in Sequoia National Park and King’s Canyon National Park.  From there we will continue north to Yosemite National Park to spend quality some time.  If you have never been to Yosemite, do your self a favor and go visit there.  Photos nor TV can really do it any justice.  In person, you have to stand there in awe and just soak it all in.  I am not at all religious, but standing there in person and taking in the view from the vista point can be a life-changing event.  If there is a God, he must have created this place specifically to want all to experience the immense beauty for themselves. Visit Yosemite and you will be glad you did. I believe it is even a more-greater view than the view of the Grand Canyon. 

Linus, Snoopy and I would love to hear some more suggestions from you guys of places we could visit on this tour.  We did get some suggestions and we have already plugged them into our tentative flight plan.  Our flight plan is fluid and not written in stone in order to give us the ultimate freedom to be spontaneous.  Have you ever driven down the road ad wondered what was over that a way?  We want the freedom to be able to do exactly that, go down that path less travelled just to check it out.  How does that sound to you?

I am already listening to tomorrow’s secret artist’s music.  I listen to the next day’s music on the bike ride home at night and in the morning getting ready for work and when I ride by bicycle into work.  I usually hear an album in it’s entirety in the morning and I’ll listen to some more of it on the way home. It’s only about a twenty-minute ride home after work, which is not bad at all really.  Music can pull you out of the lowest point in your life and inspire you to do great things with your life.  Music is very important in my life and I’d be pretty lost without it.

In Snoopy’s own words… Bark Less and Wag More!

Until next time… Be Good!

- cb

No comments:

Post a Comment