Thursday, January 23, 2014

Tribute to my friend, Phil White


Dear (Doctor) Phil White…                                                                          Jan 24, 2014

Is been about a year since you left us all behind and went to the big house in the sky.  In a very short time you became one of my best friends here in El Segundo and Southern California. You always welcomed me with a smile and a joke.  I still say you looked like a cross between Lewis Black and Burl Ives.  I remember long ago I asked you what I should call you, and you turned to me and said, “Doctor has a nice ring to it!” From then on we greeted each other as Doctor each and every time we saw each other. 

Your uncanny ability to tell joke after joke amazed me to no end.  You touched so many people that you have no idea. Even at your memorial gathering, there was so many people that attended that I was amazed. I wanted to get up and say a few words about you, but you know I would of never made it through without tears streaming down my face.  We both shared that trait, that we really love our friends. I only knew you for several years but we bonded right from the start.

Each time I had a shot after you left us I toasted to our friendship and to you! The night you and Toni ganged up on me and I had 6 or seven shots lined up on the bar in front of me I’ll never forget.  You guys really got me that night.  I could barely crawl into the back of my VW Bus, “Linus” to sleep it off in the parking lot. Man, those were some good times!

I still have your voicemails in my phone when you took care of Snoopy when I was out of town and I can’t bear to erase it because I still like to hear your voice and I expect you to walk through the door at the tavern at any moment. You spoiled my dog, Snoopy and she expects to see you whenever she smells a cigar. She misses you as much as I do I suspect.

Why did you have to leave us so soon? I guess there is a reason for everything… and I guess God needed a straight man for his jokes? 

Thanks for being my friend when I really needed one.  We all miss you and wish that you can now Rest in Peace, my friend.

I’ll see you on the other side, Doctor!

Your friend,

-  (Doctor) Michael J.

No comments:

Post a Comment