Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A tribute to my Friend, Pat Proffitt...


My Dear Friend, Pat Proffitt...

It has been about a year since you left us all behind. I had always admired you and your work ethic when it came to sports. Our sophomore year in football I looked up to you. You never complained about anything and you always had a smile for me when I needed it. When we used to have to run for conditioning, I would run behind you and tried to keep up with you. I knew if I could keep up running with you, I knew I would be doing well. I always told myself that I could quit at any time and just walk off the practice field.  Then I would tell myself, stick with Pat and he could get me to do it. I don’t think he ever said much to me about it, we would just make eye contact and we did it.  He sort of carried me through it all with his determination and his work ethics and he never even knew it.  He never even knew that I depended on him and I looked up to him. He got me through the entire football season and he had no clue how important he was to me. I even needed to borrow a car a few times and he loaned me his Firebird without ever making it a big deal.  

He was always so silent in all he did, but he said loads in a simple smile or kind gesture.  I believe during one of our class reunions I did go up to him and told him that I never forgot running behind him and how much his friendship and kindness meant to me.  I am not at all a religious person, even though I attended Catholic school for 9 years, but he has inspired me to aspire to be a much better person. He made me want to be a better person and to this day I try to live like he would be proud of how I act. I am no means a saint, and I have done things I am not so proud of, but I try to be a better person because of this one single guy, who made a big difference in my life.

I am proud to have had him as a friend, but I am really honored that he considered me a friend.  I try to live up to that each and everyday.

Thank you Pat for making me want to be a better person. May you look down and spread your love over all that need it.  I think I might be one of those people.

Hopefully I will see you again, my friend. Until then, it was an honor to have met you.

your friend,

- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment