Thursday, January 9, 2014

Thursday, January 9, 2014

January 9, 2014

Today’s music trivia was one of my favorite bands back in the early 1990s until the lead singer/songwriter and the (awesome) drummer, Dave Abbruzzese had a disagreement and the lead singer fired him in the latter half of 1994.  This is one of the best drummers and one of the nicest guys out there. You can definitely tell the difference between the first three albums and the ones that followed.  Anyway, I really liked this band but really quit following them ever since this incident.  Still a powerful band, I liked the fact hat they boycotted any venue that Ticketmaster had control over due to their monopoly on ticket sales and their greedy and ridiculous service charges and needless mark up of prices. 

I myself have avoided venues that Ticketmaster solely controls ticket sales due to their high service charges.  Hey Ticketmaster, what are these service charges for anyway, you greedy bastards?  These past several years I have only attended concerts at venues that sell their own tickets such as “The Greek Theatre” does.  We did lose another great venue here in LA, “The Universal Amphitheatre” this past year when the owners opted to build a Harry Potter amusement ride attraction instead, which sucks.  That was a great, small venue that allowed you to be up close and personal with the artists.  I saw so many artists and bands there over the years such as The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Pat Benetar, Counting Crows, The Black Crowes, Living Colour, and so many other bands, too numerous to mention.  So many good memories!  We are going to miss that place!

I am looking forward to the Greek Theatre announcing their event schedule soon so I can choose which concerts to be attending this year.  My good friend Bruce and I always go together since he is on the preferred musician listing to get first crack at tickets prior to going on sale to the public.  Unfortunately, you gotta pay for all the tickets when we order them at the beginning of the year, which entails putting out a bunch of cash all at once.  That is not always an easy thing to do, especially right after the holiday spending in December.

Good grief, Facebook has become an outlet for anyone who needs some kind of personal recognition. People take non-stop photos of themselves with their significant other to show everyone that their life is not as lame as others may believe. Maybe they are marking their territory like a dog or some kind of other animal does. They take photos of their food to show everyone how creative they are or healthy they think they are eating.  “Hey, look at me!  See what I did?  How cool am I?” Or their non-stop photos of their kids or grandkids who are just so cute, to them at least. “Hey, look and see how cute my offspring’s kid’s are!” Religious fanatics telling my to “Like” their God, or share or pass along the word from Jesus or I’ll have bad luck for a year.

Is it just me, or do these poor, pitiful people need some sort of positive reinforcement and personal recognition from others that their life is not as crappy as they think? I have begun forcing myself not to blast these people on Facebook anymore.  I realized that some of these folks only have this outlet to the outside world, beyond their life of mere existence. I am trying to be a kinder, gentler soul this year, even though I really want to go off on some of these people on FB, but I’ll keep trying to be tolerant as much as I can. I am not making any promises, but I’ll try. I wonder how long this practice will last?  Optimistically, I’ll give it a week!  J

ATTENTION my Peeps… Who is actually interested in accompanying us on our road trip in 2015?  If yes, during what leg of our journey would you be interested in traveling with us in Linus, our 1978 VW Camper Bus, complete with bunks? You will need to remember that we will have to pick you up at one location and we will drop you off at another location so you can travel back to your home. This will need to be highly coordinated effort, but I anticipate only a couple of you guys to really come through and travel with us.  I know it can be a daunting effort just to work out the logistics of it all, just think how I feel about trying to do this all. We will try to work with you to make this happen. We still have a year to work out any details.  First come, first served to reserve a sector on this adventure. We will be staying in motels every once in a while just to feel human again, if needed.  Mostly we will be camping either in a campground with the usual amenities or out in the middle of nowhere off the grid in a boondocking setting.

1. Our first sector begins in the LA area and we go north along the Pacific Coast and the Sierra Nevada Mountains visiting some of the best National Parks the US has to offer, such as Kings Canyon, Sequoia and of course Yosemite.

2. Our second sector continues north all the way to the Seattle area to visit a friend.

3. Then our next sector is when we travel East along the top of the US through Montana and Wyoming to visit Yellowstone National Park.

4. Then maybe we will go down into Colorado to see some friends.

5. Then we continue East into South Dakota and continuing on through Minnesota, Wisconsin and even maybe through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan before heading back south to Chicago. 

6. After a short break of maybe a week or so in Chicagoland, we will head East again to Ohio to visit one of my best friends ever in Cincinnati.

7. We then will continue to drive along the Great Lakes with our Northeast destination to be in the state of Maine.  

8. After a stint visiting a friend in Boston and the New England area, we will head south through all the eastern mountain ranges.

9. We will then continue along the east coast all the way down into the Florida Keys and finally ending up in Key West.

10. The next sector will be heading back towards Chicagoland to rest up before our next sector.

11. After a rest in Chicagoland, we will retrace the Original Route 66, using all the old roads as possible all the way back to Santa Monica, California.

During all these road trips, we will have our laptop computer with internet access, as well as a smartphone and a GPS receiver unit to keep in touch will all of you readers.  This is why we started this blog, just to keep in touch with all of you while we are traveling.  I just started doing this early so I would be in the daily habit of doing it as well as to get any feedback for places to visit and any valuable input from you guys. We are still open for any suggestions on possible sites to visit and any interesting destinations, so please, just let us know.

So, let’s hear from you folks interested in joining us on a leg of our US back roads trip.   We look forward to hearing something from you all…

As Snoopy always says, Bark Less and Wag More!

Until next time… Be Good!

- cb

No comments:

Post a Comment