Thursday, August 21, 2014

Thursday, Aug 21, 2014



For What It’s Worth                                                              - 135 days and counting…


Happy birthday to my good buddy, Kent!  Enjoy your day, my friend!   Love ya man!


Piloting a VW Bus
I was reading some things online about the VW bus and the lifestyle it promotes.  You can’t drive down any road and pass another one without them waving at you, either with a peace sign, a “Shaka brah” surfer greeting, a fist in the air like a biker would do, or just a standard wave.  Even most of the old VW Beetle drivers will give you some kind of visual greeting when you pass each other.  It becomes a welcomed addition to a drive down the road.  You are surprised when you pass one and they do not wave somehow.  I just figure they were probably messing with the radio changing stations or something and didn’t see our wave.  It is quite a close-knit culture.  Even during the short drive home from work I usually will encounter some pedestrian standing on the corner who will smile and wave.  Whoever would of thought that driving a 36+ year old vehicle would make you into an instant semi-celebrity with people you don’t even know wanting some of your time.  If you don’t believe this, I’ll let you pilot Linus for half an hour and I bet one of these things will happen to you too!  J

Trip Necessities
It seems that I am constantly going over in my mind what I will need to take on this long road trip that is in our future.  I also wonder where the heck will we store half of this stuff?  I foresee us taking everything out of the bus and then populating it with the equipment “must haves” and then trying to fit in the “would like to have” items that we want to take also.  Some of the things I would like to take may not make the critical spares list. 

We have a wagon we would like to take to help lug things around such as firewood, various supplies or even water-filled containers.  With a broken back I need to plan for moving heavy or awkward things around by myself. The problem is that it takes up a lot of valuable cargo space inside.  But it is almost a necessity for the long term. We have a small microwave we would like to bring also, but then again it takes up space.  But it would be used quite a bit for quick heating of leftovers, making a cup of hot tea, etc.  It is small in size, so hopefully we can squeeze it in. I also have a bunch or emergency gear that we will need to take such as a first aid kit, emergency food (dehydrated food), tow strap, come-a-long (a hand winch w/cable), etc.  There is just a lot to think about and maybe that is why it is constantly on my mind.

Simple Joys of Life & Words of Wisdom

Some people come in your life as blessings,
Others come in your life as lessons.
Learn to realize the difference.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Snoopy says, “Bark Less and Wag More!”

Until next time... Be Good!


- cb

No comments:

Post a Comment