Monday, September 8, 2014

Monday, September 8, 2014



For What It’s Worth                                                                  - 118 Days and Counting


Last week I only really worked one day in the office, so that was the reason we did not publish our blog post.  It was sort of like a mini-retirement session for me.  I got to sleep in for about 5 days straight, not having to worry about dragging myself out of bed at @ 4:30AM each day, and having some morning time to myself for once.  It was like heaven for those several days that I savored immensely.  I bet not many even noticed or missed reading it.

Backroads Travel
I guess it all began when I was a just little kid and being of the curious nature I always would pull out the old and tattered Rand McNally Road Atlas and look at it while laying on the floor.  That was cheap quality entertainment for me, looking at places on a map that I wanted to visit and see.  In the margins there would be short snippets detailing points of interest along the byways.  Featured there were roadside attractions, National Landmarks, National Parks, State Parks, places for recreation and exploring, lakes and camping sites, along with other various and diverse points of interest.  

I could never get used to the large and impersonal highways and freeways of today’s traffic jams.  I myself have always preferred taking the back roads whenever possible.  It may take a bit longer then the asphalt ribbon scarring up our beautiful landscapes, but it is so much preferred to a guy like myself.  Whether I am driving my super fast and nimble Porsche 911 Carrera flat out or just rambling down the road laboring along in Linus, my 1978 VW Westfalia Bus, I will always take the back roads whenever possible.  That is where the adventures hide, laying in wait for us to stumble upon them in our own time and space, unaware of their presence until we are immersed deeply into a secret destination. 

The beauty of driving a Westfalia Camper Bus is that you have no timeline to adhere to.  No time you have to be home or head home.  Home is where you are, always there just waiting for us to decide this is where we stay for the night, or maybe just for a short break in time to catch a quick 40 winks.  No need to plan that much ahead really, just continue your day until you decide it is time for sleep.  No big RV to find an adequate place large enough to park, just a regular parking spar that your car would fit in will do just fine for the night.  Heck, it can be right there in a residential area as long as you don’t make yourself look conspicuous by popping your top and camping out.  Just shut off your engine, draw your curtains, and crawl in the back for the night.  I have many times done just that, just crashed wherever I was currently parked for the evening.  Sometimes it might be good to park where there is less street traffic driving by, especially large trucks that can shake the bus so much just by passing close by.  Woosh!  Now unfortunately you are wide awake and waiting for the next big vehicle to pass close by again in baited anticipation.  I do try to park off the beaten path to avoid all that comes with traffic but sometimes you might not have much choice in the matter.


Simple Joys of Life & Words of Wisdom   

“Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery… none but ourselves can free our mind.”

                                      - Bob Marley

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snoopy asks that you please… “Bark Less and Wag More!”

Until next time… Be Good!


- cb

No comments:

Post a Comment